Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wildlife: The Geese Episode

As some of you may know, the Her Interactive office is in a building located on a wildlife refuge of sorts. Behind our building is a slough and further away is dense vegetation for all sorts of critters to hang out in.

The critter that rules over all is the Canadian Geese. These guys are quite the characters! Once they have their goslings in spring, stay away! They can be quite protective and fierce; they will hiss if you come too close walking along the path around the building complex, and if you try to be brave and pass them, there is a chance they will chase you. And you do not want to be chase by this huge bird!

Our IT Network Ninja was driving down the street, and they commanded every one's attention as their goslings followed suit as they strolled down the busy street, heading towards the south-bound freeway: (click the images for a larger view)


The baby goslings are really cute and fluffy, and this was as close as I could get before papa goose became leery of my presence:


"Hey guys! Lunch is on me!" Wait, what?! Sometimes people like to throw stuff at them, like tomatoes... 'cause that seems like an appropriate thing to throw... I guess...


~Little Jackalope~

13 comments:

Sheesh4 said...

I love this! It is funny and I get to experience life over at HeR headquarters. :P I especially like the tomato picture. Are the tomatoes thrown out of kindness or is it mean throwing?

Norwegian Dancer said...

That poor goose, he/she (not sure) has a tomato on his/her back! Poor thing! :( I'm sure all of you at HeR Interactive didn't throw any of those, right? (^.^) You guys are too nice! I don't think feeding wildlife is recommended, and it's frowned upon to throw tomatoes at them too! (^.^)
Happy Tuesday!
-Norwegian Dancer

Rachel Stevens said...

Oh no!! Help him! Get the tomatoe off his back!

Future Animator said...

Aw, they're so fuzzy!! Why the heck would someone throw a tomato at a goose...? "Hey, I'm gonna throw this tomato at his goose!"
My grandparents live on a lake and they have geese running through their back yard all the time. :) and in the spring the geese will bring their goslings along. SO CUTE!

horselover23 said...

There is a LOT of Canadian geese where I live! it's crazy!

I got by best friend hooked on the ND games!! now shes just as excited as me for the new one to come out!!

Carmen said...

They are so adorable crossing the road! I've seen a huge geese family around my area too. The parents are very defensive, as you know!

Anonymous said...

Those pics are really cute!
And Little Jackalope? Could you give me a hint on where to snoop to find your real name? I searched everywhere but have had no luck... I don't have an account on the message boards YET so anything on there I wouldn't be able to see.

~JOY77

Anonymous said...

At the "Dinner's on me" part I lost it! :)) Which makes me feel horrible because it's so sad that people do that...

Anonymous said...

There's a pond here that we go by every week and every year we get to see the babies grow up. This one pair had 22 this year. Last year, she had 18. That are now about as big as the ones in the first pics. I kindof doubt they like tomatoes.

From me,
Silvertongue.

Anonymous said...

how do people get their picture in the games?

ND's #1 fan said...

CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 baby geese!!!!! SO adorable! :D Must be so fun to get to see all of the wildlife over there! :) ND's #1 fan

Isis4ever said...

Oh, you're really lucky! I love seeing baby geese. They are so sweet :) My dad gets to see them every morning in the spring and early summer on his way to work.

William D said...

Lol, I know how you guys feel! The geese near us are very protective, lazy, and rude :/ When I was young (3) I ''wanted to pet pretty goosy!'' :P I learned my lesson. (SQUACK SQUACK SQUACK) O_O LOL Anyway, you know, Little Jackalope, I was thinking, when I'm old enough to get a job, I think maybe..... eaither I will try working at HerInteractive! The more I hear, the cooler it sounds! I think maybe, I could either try my hand at Designing or maybe Programing. It sounds really interesting! Well, good luck with the *dun dun dun dun* GEESE O_O Lol